Sunday, March 17, 2013

Name days

(March 17, 2013) Today is St. Patrick's Day, my name day. When I was just a young girl my mother told me I was named Patricia in memory of her firstborn, a son that died at birth on St. Patrick's Day. So every year, I remember my parents' sadness at his passing and happiness at my coming, the first of five children.

We're not Irish, but St. Patrick's Day was always a big day. Another special day coming this week is the Feast of St. Joseph, Tuesday, March 19, my father's birthday and name day. He would have been 100 this year. He always told us kids (and the grandkids too) we could have the day off from school in honor of his birthday. In our parish grade school we did get the day off courtesy of our pastor, also named Joseph, who shared my dad's sentiments. Those were the good old days!

I don't remember a lot from the past, but these are among my few special memories. On the other hand, my husband says he remembers his very first step. He does have a very good memory and regales anyone who will listen with stories from long ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment